How did your significant other respond to the Good to Great Challenge?
Sharlyne, my wife, looked forward to opening her email every day knowing she was receiving a Love Note. Everyone likes to receiving mail that makes you feel great! She liked her gifts and the things I did around the house, but it was the daily love notes that she enjoyed the most.
What did I focus on for 14 days? Here are some topics:
1. She is beautiful, inside and out.
2. Roles: she is an amazing wife, daughter, sister, mother, grandmother and friend. Each day, I highlighted one of those roles and used examples.
3. Qualities: generous, fun, spontaneous, caring, responsible, maximizer, listener, and golfer (we enjoy golfing together). Tell your special person that he or she is a special person.
The key? Each day highlighted WHO she is as a person and why I love that about her.
What were some of the gifts? They ranged from large to small. Confession. Some of the gifts were for the whole family. She definitely enjoyed them, regardless!
Here is a sampling:
1. Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs (she looks forward to those all year)
2. Hot Tub. Ok, this is for the family, but she has enjoyed it! We were planning on this for a while, but I pulled the trigger during the good to great challenge.
3. TV mounted in the game room. We are changing out a music room for a game room. She wanted a TV, so we got a TV and I mounted it on the wall. Again, this is a family gift, but she will spend many hours doing puzzles in the game room watching Hallmark movies.
4. New leather seats for her convertible sports car. This is an older car with some tired leather seats. We went out to eat for lunch on Valentine’s Day, enjoyed sometime around the river here in Portland, then got some estimates on the seats. The car gets new seats on Monday!
5. Security System for the House. I wanted this as well. When I travel, this will make her feel safer. Included cameras to check out what is going on around our house. She loves it!
6. Of course, I got her roses!
What were some of the loving acts of help and kindness?
Well, it ranged from helping get the hot tub in place on the deck to charging the batteries in her cars. Can’t believe they both went dead at the same time. Mounted the TV in the game as mentioned before. Installed the security system. Power washed some areas outside. Picked up the backyard. Like I said before, some of these things were for both of us or for the family, yet most of what I did was personal for her. They were things either for her or on her “Honey Do List”.
What was the result? ONE HAPPY WIFE. AND AS THEY SAY, HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE. There is actually a great deal of truth to that saying. Whenever you spend more time, effort and money serving others, especially the person most important to you, it will come back to you in peace and love.
Doctor Peace, aka, Dr. Randall L. Kinnison